August is National Wellness Month and it’s a perfect time to focus on taking care of yourself physically, mentally, and emotionally. Especially during these stressful times, it’s important to make self-care, healthy eating, and stress management a priority in order to feel better than ever! Make it a goal to try one of these five ways to boost your wellness each day.
- Exercise: Just 30 minutes of exercise per day can be a major mood-booster. Not only does it benefit your mental health, it also keeps you at a healthy weight, gives you more energy, and assists with pain management.
- Practice deep breathing: Stress and anxiety can impact your breathing without you even realizing it, causing you to take shallow breaths, or even holding your breath for a period of time, causing your body to tense-up. Practicing deep breathing techniques and concentrating on breathing from your diaphragm can make a big difference.
- Take a social media break: With information constantly being thrown at us via social media, it’s important that we take time each day to disconnect from technology in order to boost our mental and physical health. A digital detox can help with anxiety, sleep, mood, and much more. Aim to put your phone away one hour before bedtime to allow your brain to wind-down before falling asleep.
- Drink more water: Hydration is so important for your body, especially during these hot summer months. Water helps transport nutrients to give you energy and even lubricates your joints. It’s the key to digestion, clearer skin, and even weight loss!
- Cut back on sugar and load up on fruits and veggies: Sugar depletes your energy and makes you feel tired and grumpy. If you have a sweet tooth, you can still satisfy it by swapping your sugary sweets for fruits and vegetables. Your body and mind will thank you for it!
P.S. Project Pneuma is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization.