Did you know that May is National Correct Posture Month? Correct posture is something we all need to be mindful daily, as we journey through life. Making sure that you hold your body the right way, whether you are moving or still, can prevent back pain, injuries, and other health problems. It is an important part of your long-term health.
So, what is posture? Posture is the position in which someone holds their body when standing or sitting. Dynamic posture is how you hold yourself when you are moving, and static posture is how you hold yourself when you are not moving. Both are important to maintain for your health.
Ways bad posture can affect your health
- Slouching or slumping over can misalign your musculoskeletal system.
- Cause neck, shoulder, and back pain.
- Decrease your flexibility.
- Affect your balance and increase your risk of falling.
- Make it harder to breathe.
Ways to improve your posture sitting and standing
- Switch sitting positions often.
- Take brief walks around your office, job, or home.
- Make sure that your back is fully supported. Use a back pillow or other back support if your chair does not have a backrest that can support your lower back’s curve.
- Stand up straight and tall.
- Keep your shoulders back.
- Let your arms hang down naturally at your sides.
With practice, you can improve your posture and you will look and feel much better!
P.S. Project Pneuma is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization.