These days, we often hear about the importance of being in the present moment. We’re told that the now is all that exists and if we’re not here now, then we’re not really living.
The only problem is that staying present is a lot easier said than done. Implementing this change into your daily routine can be a huge struggle.
To make mindfulness a little easier, Project Pneuma put together a list of ideas for cultivating more awareness and presence in your daily life. That way, you can start to enjoy the little things in life even when things get hectic.
- Celebrate the tiny joys: Whether it’s finding an extra dollar in your purse, bumping into a friend, or getting to sleep in, celebrate the tiny joys as much as the big ones.
- Make mindfulness a practice: Whether it’s through meditation, yoga, or another type of mindfulness practice, carve out time in your day to intentionally be present. Mindfulness is something that takes patience, energy, and dedication, so it’s important to practice it daily.
- Listen to your body: One of the best ways that you can be present in your life is to listen to what your body tells you instead. Is it craving food? Eat. Does a run sound invigorating? Go for one. Do you want nothing more than to curl up in bed and forego the gym today? Do it. Your body will let you know when it needs energy and when it needs rest.
- Reduce distractions: Most of us are never fully present in our lives because we continually get distracted. Our focus may be on one thing for a few moments, but suddenly another thought, request, or task comes up and we’re onto the next thing. Identify your top distractions and develop a plan to avoid them.
- Get away from the digital world: Spend time away from your phone and computer every day. Read a book, write, go for a walk, practice yoga, or eat your lunch without an electronic device nearby. Do something daily that doesn’t require a connection to the internet.
P.S. Project Pneuma is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization.